Monday, May 11, 2009

Video: CodeDependent #1

Adobe TV has just posted the first in what I hope to be a very long run of my new show, “CodeDependent”. Fortunately, the show is not on the Fox network, so that may give it a better chance of not being canceled.

The CodeDependent show is not that different from the videos I’ve been doing already: short tutorials on various aspects of Flex and Flash that I find interesting. The biggest change is that they should be more regular (we’re aiming for an every-other-week schedule as we settle into it). Also, they producers gave me a nifty new grayscale CG set design to match my nifty old grayscale CG personality.

This first show is a simple tutorial on Flex 3 and Flex 4 (codename Gumbo) graphics. For the Flex 3 demo, you'll see how to drop down into ActionScript code to draw simple graphics through the Flash APIs into your Flex application. For the Flex 4 version, you'll see you to do the same thing through MXML graphics tags. In future episodes, we'll build on these simple examples and see how to animate the objectsand how to get more realistic animations. (Can you feel the suspense of this cliff-hanger? I’m trying to incorporate standard television series techniques into the show. Look for a laughtrack soon.) But I’m getting way ahead of myself.

Here’s the video:

Here’s the awesome demo application:

And here’s the source code.

Enjoy. And welcome to my show…

2 comments:

whp said...

Nice video. I enjoy your sens of humour. Studio background looks a little to grey. And where is your crown?

Anyway, I see declarative graphics all over the palce: Gumbo, XAML, JavaFX Script and QML (from Qt creators).

Unknown said...

Very nice, declarative graphics is the correct way to go. I like your videos, they are entertaining and informative :)