Monday, March 22, 2010

Coming Soon: My Flex 4 Book

Now that Flex 4 is released (yay!), it seems like a good time to announce that I've been writing a book about the graphics and animation side of Flex 4 (apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time around, or I actually enjoy spending all of my spare time writing about what I spend my non-spare time developing). It should be a fun read with lots of eye candy demos with source code available on the book's website.

I'll have more details available in the next couple of days, and I hope to have the beta version of the book ready for online purchase within the week. (I actually hoped to have the real paper version available in stores this week instead. But that dream died a few months ago when I blew right past all of my deadlines. It's tough to finish a book about a product when you really need to finish the product first. So instead, I'll have a nearly-finished version of the book available online now, followed by the final version available online and in print hopefully sometime this summer).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! What ... you didn't learn your lesson :) Filthy Rich Clients is one of my best books I have ever read for Java =) Looking forward for this book!

erick.g said...

good news. i can't wait.

Pedro said...

What is the background one has to have in order to read this book? For instance, do you assume any background knowledge of Flex or is this for anyone who would like to learn Flex?

polyGeek said...

I like what Douglas Adams had to say about deadlines:

"I just love deadlines and the whoooshing noise they make as they go by."

Chet Haase said...

@Pedro: It's not an intro-to-Flex book. Instead, it's an intro/advanced guide to the graphical side of Flex that's not usually covered in great detail. I think readers should be basically familiar with Flex before trying this book, because it assumes that you know things like MXML syntax, ActionScript 3, and the basics of Flex.
You don't have to be an expert in Flex, and it's probably sufficient to know Flex 3 (and be new to Flex 4). But I was definitely not writing it for the Flex newbie, because it'd have to be a much larger (and more boring) book to cover that material....

Thomas Burleson said...

I really like your training videos...

And now I cannot wait to read your Flex 4 book (both the online version and the eBook version).